If you are a first-timer and want to know how it is running a website on the World Wide Web, you have the option to go for free web hosting services. Free web hosting services are good for websites that do not require a great deal of bandwidth or storage. This is also good for persons who want to put up websites for personal use. However, if you are planning to launch your company website, it is better that you opt for a paid web hosting services. Money should not be an issue for you if you want to look professional and trustworthy in the virtual world.
[read the review on What Is Web Hosting And Its Types]
Hosting your website in a free hosting site is very attractive especially when you don’t have much budget to pay for paid services. There are companies that provide such free hosting services. However, you should take into account some issues posed when having a free web hosting services to run your site. Here are some things you should take into account:
- Your URL will become an extension of the URL of the free web host. You can expect it to belong. Your long URL may also become a reason for your clients not to trust you. In the World Wide Web, gaining confidence and trust from your client is a must, and you may not be able to get that with a lengthy URL.
- Sponsored Advertising And Links. Because you are using a free web host, you can expect that your site will be the “host” of sponsored advertising and links. Your customers will be bombarded with different pop-ups or banners, and your website will be drowning with several sponsored links.
- Storage And Bandwidth. You will only have limited, or minimal storage space and bandwidth allocated to your website. This means that loading time will be slow, and you cannot run your website with hundreds of pages. You may experience a lot of downtime and crashes, especially on the peak hours. Furthermore, free web host sites do not use state of the art technology, which will also hamper the loading time of your website.
- Restricted Business. It would be difficult for you to advertise on your own website, not to mention process purchases. If you are planning to use your website to sell, and expect to process payment online, it is best that you opt for a paid web hosting service. In addition, there is no guarantee that you can transact business on a free web host securely.
- Free web hosts do provide support for their customers. However, you cannot expect a quick response from their customer support team. They will respond, but it would take some time. In other cases, customer support is non-existent.
- There is only so much functionality that a free web host can provide for your website and you can expect that a database is not one of them. You can also expect that certain applications necessary to run certain scripts and features are not allowed and not provided.
These are the disadvantages of having a free web host for your website. If you are willing to take the risk, you can always launch your website through a free web host. However, if you want a certain degree of control over your website, you may want to go for a paid service. You can always avail affordable web hosting services online. You just have to be patient when looking. If money is not an issue, you better look for a web host that can cater to your hosting needs. read more…